Well before we start it’s important to understand the term itself which is “Digitization”. If you look up any dictionary or online definition sites there is a very similar answer to it which is converting of records and files etc…. to a digital format as in bits or bytes or as we call it into binary format zero’s and one’s which can be accessed on computers and is available to anyone on demand. Over the years Digitization and digitalization are the terms that have been used interchangeably but perhaps that is a point of discussion for a different blog.
What is a Process? Well, a process can be a well-defined task that needs to be executed in a specific timeframe which will lead to developing a product or a service that can be then delivered to a customer. And by the implementation of processes, it enables a company to react faster, better, and cheaper to the needs and requirements of customers by the product manufacturers or service providers. Well, a process can be tagged largely under any of the below 3 categories:
· Management Process
· Operational Process
· Support Process
A “Management Process” is related to anything which helps in tasks related to things like employees, budgets, governance, etc…
An “Operational Process” is always related to the core goal of any organization which is the development of products or services and working with customers for the sale and adoption of those products/services.
The last “Support Process” is something which is related to managing the core operations which can be from technical support, maintenance staff, learning and development, recruitment, fire & Safety, business continuity to name a few.
Coming back to Digitization of processes, well in the good old days’ everything was manual and people had to manually punch, or mark or deliver various services to do a simple transaction like placing an order for a product or getting a service from a provider. Suddenly a new age came to being and this was the age of online enablement for any business. Nowadays almost anything can be bought or looked up online and the customers want a certain level of service and want a certain level of experience when they go online.
In today’s time, all thanks to the big brands in the industry have set a high bar when it comes to the digital experience of all their customers while buying any product or services and the same experience has become a benchmark and the expectations of the customers are to see the same seamless experience all across.
To support this new way of doing business even the companies had to undergo a digital transformation process to live up to the expectations of the customer. Whether it is the supply chain, order management, or any business process for that matter in today’s world there can be workflows designed which have the capability to automate to an extent that the human intervention or touchpoints have been reduced to a greater extent to deliver a seamless experience. Still, there are organizations which are part of the traditional setup which may not be able to meet the demands of the customers and this presents a unique opportunity for the organizations which have put in the effort to use innovation and automation of processes to compete effectively and successfully in today’s ever-changing market and deliver exception products/services in the process.
Another point which organizations need to bear in mind that digitization of processes doesn’t just stop at mere automation. While automating a workflow/process what we need to remember is to automate and keep on improving the processes along the way. To do so organization need to understand the rules, inputs, and outputs to any process and do a deep dive analysis. Examine all the information from the analysis and then decide which process to automate and have a team whose core focus is to analyze, evaluate and implement the digitization of processes across the various departments of an organization.
What is the benefit behind Process Digitization?
· Improves efficiency
· Integration of conventional systems to a digitized environment which helps in reducing the response time, communication and removing system redundancies.
· Improves customer experience.
· Improves accessibility and facilitates better information exchange within the organization.
· Reduce the cost of operations.
· Reduces time to market
· Improves Business Continuity and enhances growth plans.
· Induces flexibility in the system and makes it more adaptable to change.
· Creates an opportunity to take advantage of analytics and real-time data.
Few things to remember while designing the process digitization journey for your organization!!!
· Start from the end goal and backtrack: After careful analysis define what is the end goal you want to achieve and then start backtracking what can be the hurdles that will be faced during implementation which can lead to digitizing a process, updating or creating new ones.
· Tackle end to end customer experience: For a quick break-fix digitizing a few processes might help improve the customer experience but in entirety, it will not yield the expected results and leave quite a few gaps. The creation of cross-functional teams and focus groups helps in better communication and creates a true team effort in the digitization journey to deliver better customer experience.
· Build In-house capabilities: As the digitization skills are in short supply organizations need to create a center of excellence teams that can be brought in at a moment’s notice to design and build the digitization strategy. It is important the teams have the required technical skills to build the required components in a modular way which can be built upon over a period of time.
· Move Quickly: In traditional IT-intensive programs, the organization might see the benefits till the project ends. Digitizing processes end to end one by one can help organizations see the benefits during a shorter span and remove the hurdles which come along the way. For the digitization story to be successful it will require the support of all stakeholders.
Organizations that go down the path of digitization of processes definitely stand greater chances of improving their bottom line revenue and delighting their customers in the process. Where to start the digitization of process there needs to be a trade-off between the most problematic areas, cost of implementation, and the time it takes to deliver but a quick suggestion would be doing smaller research projects, build capabilities, create momentum within the organization and then scale from there rapidly.
The process of digitizing your business can be a lengthy and tiresome process, however, with DBSync’s Integration platform all this and more can be handled with ease.
Get your Apps talking and take your business to the next level.